|The Zappeion Hall
The Zappeion Hall was built by the national benefactor Evangelos Zappas and was inaugurated in October 1888, for the purpose of hosting important exhibitions and other events. During its history, it has developed into a multi-purpose centre, having served as the offices of the Greek Presidency of the European Union. During elections, it is used as a Press Centre.
The Zappeion Hall is connected with the history of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, having been the main building of the Olympic village for those games. It was also the place where Greece's accession to the European Economic Community was signed, on 29 May 1979.