MYKONIAN WOMEN CULTURALAND FOLKLORE ASSOCIATION
Founded in 1978 by women of Mykonos, to
register and propound «culture» while trying to keep up with presence by intervening in
the social, political and cultural life of a place which due to tourism faces certain
cultural challenges. The association, which counts about 250 members, is based in a
windmill in the town of Mykonos, and has a wide range of happenings during the whole year.
It is self supported by the annual subscriptions of the members only. You can contact the
group on: 2289024967. Some of the permanent happenings the association organizes are:
On New Year's Eve women sing the traditional Mykonian carols.
* On January 6th the «Balosia» (a feast that was used before merchant ships
* On the last Sunday of the Carnival, they walk around the town masqueraded according
to the Mykonian tradition.
* Takes part on the transfer of the holy icon of Virgin Mary the «Tourliani»
from and back to Ano Mera Monastery.
* On Holy Friday the association's choir sings the «Virgin Mary's lamentation»
according to the tradition.
* Organizes the celebrations on «Woman's Day»
* On June 24th revives the ancient custom of «Klidona» which is known as
«fotares» or big lights.
* Takes part in all national and religious holidays.
* Publishes an annual calendar with folklore character.
* Cooperates with other unions of the island for other traditional events (like the
fishermen fair, etc.).
For a few years now, the women established the «Women's Cafe». They are gathered at
«Kounenis Hotel» every Sunday from 6 to 8. Till now except from the Annual Calendar,
they have also published «The songs of marriage» a collection with traditional old