Area: 110 sq. km
is now as in ancient times known for the fishing and marketing
of sponges. The earliest inhabitants were probably Carians;
later -around 1100 B.C.- Kalymnos was colonized by Dorians.
antiquity its fortunes tended to follow those of Kos and later
it underwent the usual Byzantine, Venetian, Rodian, Turkish
and Italian periods.
In 1947 it reverted to Greece. Kalymnos
town with 9400 inhabitants is the capital of the island and
was founded in 1850. the church of Ag. Hristos is the most
beautiful Neobyzantine church of the town.
To the west is a
hill with ruined Castle of the Knights. Horio is the former
capital of the island, built below the castle (9th century),
which served as an refuge in Middle Ages. Kefalas, the cave,
which can be reached by boat only, was a sanctuary of Olympian
Telendos is the island close to the western shore with
the ruins of the monastery of Agia Vassileos dominated by a
medieval castle. Vathis is a small village at the east coast
with a fjord like inlet..
>> Dodecanese Islands : Astypalea,
Halki, Kalymnos, Karpathos,
Leros, Lipsi, Nisyros, Patmos, Rhodes, Symi,